Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Thing 15, Week 6 (Done in week 7)

Yes, with this post I'll be done with week 6 exercises...I'm beginning to see the finish line where Blog #23 is waiting. :)

The 3 perspectives I read were: "Away from Icebergs", "To more powerful ways to cooperate", and "To a temporary place in time...". I'm gonna talk about "Away from Icebergs". I saw what he was talking about - making the library more user-friendly, challenging the idea of having such a huge physical collection of books, and making the library go to our patrons instead of making the come to us. These are all very wondeful ideas and I agree with the idea of making the library more user friendly - that is wonderful, I just, personally, don't have a lot of ideas on that front that don't cost an arm and a leg (maybe 2 arms and 2 legs). I disagree a bit with the author's idea that we don't need such a big hard copy collection. In the end, we will always have people who will need the hard copy and the idea of having everything digital is all very fun and wonderful to talk about but it really is just a dream. We are going to become more digital but our hard copy collections shall always survive. Finally the idea of going out to our patrons, digitally, seems great, but again it seems more a dream then anything else. The author said that we shouldn't expect the patron to come to us either physically or virtually. I agree that we should make our library accessible so that people can visit our resources digitally from home without having to put foot in our library - that's great. But not expect them to come virtually - I don't know how that's done and I don't think it's possible. We should be able to make our website have as many sources of information that the patron will need, but the patron at least will have to type in www.sjlibrary.org and press the "enter" button. It's not to much to ask from our patrons - at least in my humble opinion.

Finally what does Learning 2.0 mean to me: it is a program that is allowing me to learn some things about the web that I had no idea existed. I'm enjoying the experience and even though I had cold feet when I started; I truly am very happy that this program was brought to our library and that I can take part in it.

1 comment:

1014 said...

wow, danny boy, you really are protocol. everything arragned nicely and accordingly. nice info on portugal tho. i keep seeing it come up on crossword puzzles i try to do.