Thursday, February 22, 2007

Thing 16, Week 7 (Actually done on week 7)

Well, here come the wiki's...RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!

All right, so now I finally get some information about wiki's. It was nice to read about them because I am a fond user of Wikipedia but I really wasn't sure how it worked exactly. Now I do - thank you Library 2.0.

Now, I took a look at the library wiki's and found them to be very interesting. These are the 3 I liked the most: SJCPL Subject Guides had general information from the difference between biographies and memoirs, to links of websites and journals under different subjects, for example - health, jobs and homework were some of them. The next one I really liked was Book Lovers Wiki this had book reviews done by library staff, dedicated volunteers and reading club participants. I really liked this wiki because I am one of those people that will go to Amazon.com and see the user reviews of books before I pick one up. If it is a book I'm interested in and it has between 4-5 stars on Amazon I will definitely checkout the book and read it. Of course, once I start reading it if I find it's not interesting then I'll just return it but the Amazon rating system is a big help. So I liked that Book Lovers Wiki was doing something very similar. Finally I looked at The Albany County Public Library Staff wiki this wiki had library procedures documented by staff. I didn't think this wiki was very well made but I thought the idea was very good. It's a place where Library procedures can be posted and then when changes occur (which they always do) it is very easy to go into the wiki and update them.

I think all 3 ideas for these 3 specific wikis I listed are something libraries should all use. I thought it was a great way to use wiki's in a way that is useful to both patrons and staff.

1 comment:

Virtual Services Team said...

Wikis really do hold a lot of potential for libraries. Glad to hear you enjoyed some of these.